Motherhood is one of the most desired dreams for women.
Pregnancy is a magical phase in many women’s lives, when they are filled with love and joy. It can be very challenging for some. One dream common among all pregnant women is to have a safe, normal labor and a healthy baby. They also desire a smooth sail of nine months for themselves.
As an Ayurveda women health expert I have seen women transform. They undergo varied emotional experiences as the physiological changes pose demands on their body and mind, and challenge them from month to month.
Ayurveda is an excellent addition to their pregnancy care as it provides support at physical, mental and spiritual levels.
First three months need special care. This is the time women become more sensitive, especially to smell and sound. This is the time many go through morning sickness, indigestion and burning of their throats . This is also the time of organogenesis for their child.
You need to be very careful about what you eat and do.
Ayurvedic tips for first trimester of pregnancy –
- Practice happiness and see joy and beauty in everything that you do.
- Try to have a regular routine. It’s ok not to be on schedule sometimes.
- Take a daily shower or scented bath. Private parts and specially nipples should be cleaned everyday.
- Sometimes first time moms may experience depressed nipples. Consult your physician and attempt to correct it everyday.
- Practice daily meditation and suitable Yoga postures. e.g. Kantha and Skandha sanchalan or gentle neck and shoulder roles, Ardha baddha konasana or half butterfly pose, Tadasana or Palm tree pose, Trikonasana or Triangle pose, Uttanasana or squat and rise pose.
- Go for a nature walk.
- Get Good sleep. Minimum 6-7 hours of night time sleep. 1-2 hours rest in daytime.
- Surround yourself with pleasing paintings. Photos of friends and family.
- Spending time in the company of elders and experienced women who have given birth is good. It is reassuring and brings confidence.
- Read calming and inspiring stories. It keeps you away from anxiety and keeps the mind engaged in positive thinking.
- If you are not prone to abortion and unless advised by your physician, ordinarily sex is not harmful.
- Sleeping and resting in uncomfortable and abnormal postures.
- Lying down for long hours on your back, it would be good to turn around, preferably left lateral.
- Walking alone in lonely and dark places.
- Over exertion and exhaustive work.
- Too much of travelling.
- Grief, fear and extremes of emotions.
- Too much of tv or screen time.
- Keeping late nights.
Food and eating habits
- Whole grains- Wheat, rice and other whole grains, eggs preferably cooked food.
- Pulses and legumes- Mung beans, mung daal, pigeon pea, bengal gram.
- Ripe and sweet fruits like banana, pomegranate, sweet orange, apple, grapes.
- Green vegetables carrot, sweet potato, beets, especially leafy greens like spinach, collard, green lettuce.
- Spices like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cardamom, fennel, basil.
- Whole milk, ghee, butter, yogurt.
- Nuts, raisins, dates, fig, coconut.
- Eat light and easily digestible meals.
- Eat all tastes but prefer sweet, salt and sour.
- Cold, liquid diet, frequent meals.
- Having frequent small portions of food or snacks when you feel like is fine.
- Hydrate by drinking an adequate amount of water.
- Sattvic food builds Ojas.
- Too much of Pungent, bitter and astringent taste.
- Hot food and spices.
- Heavy food and serving large portions.
- Deep fried food, aged cheese, left over and fermented food.
- Avoid Food that you know causes indigestion, constipation, burning and diarrhea.
- Keep away from Smoking and alcoholic drinks and beverages.
- Some Ayurvedic herbs recommended for first trimester of pregnancy.
Always consult your Ayurveda practitioner before taking any Ayurveda herbs.
- Charak Samhita Shareer Sthan 8/32
- Sushrut Samhita Shareer Sthan 10/4
- Women Health Care through ayurveda by Dr. Manjari Dwivedi Publishers Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi